Terragen™ is a powerful solution for building, rendering, and animating realistic natural environments. Create entire worlds from your imagination, or import real world terrain data sets and use Terragen to create the most realistic visualizations possible. You control the weather, landscape, rivers, lakes and oceans, suns, moons and stars. With Terragen you have complete control over the shader networks used for terrains, textures, micropolygon displacements, clouds and object distributions. You can reorganize the planetary shading pipeline to suit your goals. Place grass and trees wherever you want, as well as other objects in native TGO or OBJ format that you have modeled in third party software.
Terragen has been used for visual effects in more than many feature films as well as numerous major TV productions, game development, VR environments, museum exhibits, documentaries, and more. Some of the largest and most respected visual effects companies in the industry rely on Terragen for their environment workflows, including Digital Domain, Industrial Light & Magic, Weta Digital, and MPC, to name a few. Terragen’s powerful displacement and atmospherics engines have garnered a reputation for accurate, photo realistic environments featuring detailed terrains, physically-based volumetric skies, and massive populations of instanced geometry. We have continued to improve these core strengths for Terragen 4, producing new creative options and render capabilities, improved performance, and enhanced workflows.
Terragen makes this possible with the following features and benefits:
Real-Time Preview (RTP) utilizes Intel Embree ray tracing technology to provide instant feedback, dramatically improving workflow and the speed of fine-tuning your scenes.
Real-Time Ray-Traced Preview
- All versions of Terragen 4 now include animation capabilities. This lets everyone take advantage not only of the ability to put their scenes in motion, but also to use motion blur and other animation-oriented tools that are still very useful even for still images.
- New Rendering engine enhancements allow Terragen 4 to render scenes which feature objects on average more than twice as fast as Terragen 3, and in some cases much more..
- Multiple Scattering in Cloud – Years of internal research and development at Planetside Software has made a major breakthrough in volumetric shading realism, allowing the user to simulate multiple scattering within cloud volumes, including inter-cloud and cloud-ground interactions. Along with new simple-to-use presets realizing a variety of common cloud types such as altocumulus, the new cloud shading technology allows you to produce highly realistic cloud renders with ease.
- Ozone Simulation – Ozone scattering in the atmosphere, making the already realistic atmosphere model practically indistinguishable from reality.
- High quality context-aware lens effects such as bloom and starbursts bring an additional layer of photo realism, and all effects respond realistically to the characteristics of your light sources, speculars, and other bright areas of the image. Lens effects operate in high dynamic range, taking into account light source and specular reflection intensity, color, occlusion, and atmospheric scattering
- Several entirely new shaders, and numerous enhancements to existing ones, including improvements to “Fake Stones”, “Fractal Warp”, object sequence capabilities, and more.
- Hybrid micropolygon renderer optimised for large displacements and very large landscapes.
- Render entire planets, sweeping vistas, tiny rock gardens, or anything in between.
- Export high resolution objects from displaced surfaces.
- Import 3D objects for rendering.
- Render millions of plants and other objects using instancing. Billions of virtual polygons are handled with ease.
- Add multiple heightfields, textures and displacement maps to your scene.
- Georeferencing options; automatic georeferencing for properly formatted GeoTIFF files.
- Procedural terrains that can span an entire planet.
- Apply almost “infinite” fractal detail to terrain and other objects.
- Overhanging terrain using procedural displacements, image-based displacements, or imported geometry.
- 3D painting of colours and masks that can control almost anything in the scene.
- Photorealistic atmosphere and sunlight.
- Volumetric clouds or fast “2.5D” clouds.
- Global illumination, multiple scattering in volumetrics, full light interaction between volumetrics and surfaces.
- Production quality anti-aliasing and motion blur that renders quickly and efficiently.
- High dynamic range output; generate photorealistic environment maps and IBL sources.
- Node graph editor for ultimate control over shaders and textures.
- Flexible planetary shading pipeline.
- Animation of almost any parameter with the optional Animation module.